Read the following Bible passage, then answer the short questions. Consider the practical suggestions at the end of the study.
6. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things Gods wrath comes on those who are disobedient.
7. Therefore do not be partners with them.
8. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light
9. (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
10. and find out what pleases the Lord.
11. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
12. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.
13. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible,
14. for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."
15. Be very careful, then, how you live not as unwise but as wise,
16. making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
17. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lords will is.
1. What do you think it means to be darkness?
2. What do you think it means to be children of the light?
3. If the fruit of the light is goodness, righteousness and truth, what might the fruit of darkness be?
4. How can you find out what pleases the Lord?
Sometimes moving toward darkness can seem very innocent. Its just a place I can unwind and not worry about who sees me. A place I can visit in anonymity whats the harm? Well, the darker things get, the harder it is to see whats happening to you. You can lose your sense of what is good and righteous and true.
If you feel youve slipped too far from the light, take heart! Jesus said in John 8:12: "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." There are men around you who have stepped from darkness into light and want to help you do the same. Gods light is bright enough to change any life, even yours.
*Scriptures are from The Holy Bible: New International Version © Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. All rights reserved.